Originally Posted by Chargergirl
Upon reading between Trip Advisor and this thread I am becoming concerned about my upcoming trip. I do understand that crime occurs everywhere but I am wondering if I have to stick to resort or can we walk/drive around freely? Every time I read these threads I get a mixed bag of opinions but for those of you who do live there what should we expect when visiting? We have visited before about 15 years ago but we have traveled to many caribbean islands and understand areas of concern. We travel frequently to Mexico (and most won't go) but also want an honest idea of what is doable. We would like to go to Anguilla and St Barths as day trips (maybe even spend an extra night there). Just when I can't wait to arrive I read about an incident and then I'm feeling not so sure. Thanks for your suggestions - I appreciate all of your time.

We’ve been visiting the island at the very least once a year and often more every year since 1973 and you can count me among those that never had our rental car breached. Until........

Perhaps seven or eight years ago we finally had it happen. We never leave anything in the car - not in the glovebox, the car itself or the boot so at least we weren’t out any personal belongings. But our car was undriveable. We had to summon Lesley Bruce to come help us and he was typically Lesley - more worried about us and the inconvenience than he was about the needless and senseless damage done to his car.

We have to accept the Island has changed and is no longer the sleepy little utopia it once was. I do remember the days when you could leave anything in your car or unattended on the beach and it would be safe. I remember going to bed at night with our windows and sliders open without fear of intruders. And I remember giving my beautiful girls the full run of our resort when they were in their early teens, knowing full well they’d be safe and the Resort staff would help them if a situation arose.

Those days are done. But it’s not just on St. Maarten - sadly, it’s everywhere today. We can no longer go to bed at night here in our sleepy little Connecticut home town with the windows open and the doors unlocked, or leave the keys or personal belongings in our cars in our own driveway due to a rash of thefts. And while our quiet little town doesn’t seem to have a lot of major crimes we’re less than a half hour away from bigger towns and cities that do.

IMHO, the OP should have a great trip if they stick to the same rules of thumb they use in Mexico or anywhere else they travel. Leave the expensive jewelry at home and save yourself the worry. Stay out of dark alleys or dimly lit areas; don’t carry excessive amounts of cash and use your room safe instead; don’t leave valuables in your car anywhere; use legal taxis if you have concerns about nighttime driving. A romantic day in a remote beach sounds wonderful, but think twice since there’s definitely more safety in numbers. Don’t set yourself up as a victim and the chances are pretty darned good you WON’T become one. But always remember, bad things can and do happen to good people everywhere, even on vacation.

And lastly, please don’t leave your luggage unattended in your parked car while you enjoy a leisurely final lunch. Too many people have done this in too many populated areas of the island and lived to write about it here and regret that last lunch and piña colada before hitting the airport.

Last edited by pat; 08/07/2018 05:54 PM.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."