I think that Gus and Raymond both have been there at Baie Rouge at least since the early 80's but I cannot really remember. I am certain they were both there when Bourdain visited Gus' sometime in early 2000s. In my memory, both Raymond and Gus have always been there. The Lowlands Association has wanted and tried very hard at times to get rid of them since the Association was formed in the 60's - they have always had a good legal argument for why Raymond and Gus have no legal right to be there. In mid-80s, Raymond and Gus (or their friends) tore down fencing which had existed, in order to better access their shacks. Post-Luis - in 1995 - they made further efforts to establish themselves and despite the Association at one point getting a court order to shut them down, they managed to get permits from the Commune to operate - the prefet at the time (and since) refused to act against them. The last big fight that I remember was in 2005, when the Association (with support from archeological authorities - because the parking lot is over a significant Taino historical site) placed large boulders to cut off access to parking lot - put up signs, etc. Depending on who you believe for the detail, there were various threats (including death threats) - contractors "persuaded" not to help the Association - stone throwing - and, at the end, Raymond and Gus were back in business. Their status was always a little shaky legally and the Association has always been in the background wanting to see an opportunity to get rid of them. I have no idea what is going on now behind the scenes, but it will be interesting to see if Chez Raymond and Gus' Beach Bar and Grill can survive post-Irma. The Association would very much like to have only some minor off-road parking and an access pathway (which they are legally committed to provide), as exists at Long and Plum. We will see.