Yes indeed that is a thing CR. The pcr test is ultra sensitive for the presence of Covid 19 virus in any state or concentration. That’s a blessing and a curse these days. Vaccinated people can and do test positive for Covid on pcr testing with no symptoms and unable to transmit the virus. For that reason on our initial arrival I had a little concern for our friend with two teenagers, both vaccinated and had covid last fall. . I had the same slight concern on their departure. They all had positive antibody tests but the bvi bases their testing on the most sensitive test. It picks up viral particles long after they are inactive.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/06...ated-have-no-symptoms-and-test-positive/

So my point in the original post was not at all to denigrate their mitigation attempts with masking and hand sanitation. And I certainly did not nor do I condone not going along with their protocols. Indeed they have done much more in the latter area than I ever saw in the us. Clear signs and automatic hand sanitizer in nearly every business along with a hand washing station at Leverick shows a lot of effort. They have mask mandates inside and at most grocery stores they enforce it. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Our vaccinated crew was very careful to observe all such restrictions, as my spouse and I are now. We will continue to do so before we leave . We have given away two boxes of surgical masks an one of K99 so far and will leave.more with long time friends here before leaving.

My whole point was much of the island’s efforts without high vaccination % has been proven to be ineffective in the states. I am hoping it’s different here. Like someone above said many of the close contact persons have said they have been vaccinated. The problem I worry about are the numbers. If only 1 in 3 folks are vaccinated with a single dose and a huge % of expats make up that number, I worry. A good friend on island had mentioned that many C&I officers did not take the vaccine. Like someone said when assuring islon folks they were fully vaccinated and they responded that they were ..I worry.

I worry that many elderly and compromised island residents are at risk because of vaccine misinformation. If they indeed are fully vaccinated which I doubt then cases are not real important. In the states pockets where vaccination lags have shown an escalation in cases..but mostly among young people with not the higher incidence of hospitalization, icu and deaths following.

If the older and less healthy population is unvaccinated my point was this will not go well and because of experience hand sanitizer and poorly fitted, ineffective masks won’t change the progression.

I’m sorry if I gave the impression I thought observing the protocols in place was not absolutely the way every visitor should act. My point was I’ve seen the ineffectiveness of this strategy first hand . Hand washing/sanitizing and poor mask design and wearing with , noses exposed everywhere..improperly for days as has been The case in many areas of the states that thought they were immune to the virus..as well as many countries now getting hit.

The truth remains vaccination of the most vulnerable is essential. Vaccination of a large % of population is needed to keep the virus from hanging around and catching those elderly and compromised. I realize vaccines are controversial here and back home. They should not be.

Last edited by Will_L; 07/02/2021 03:01 PM.