He does have a license/permit to sell, but not a permit to rebuild his beach bar. I asked him if his license was taken away after the hurricane, but he said no. Being that he is of the "older generation" of islanders he is having difficulty with the new ideas/rules/regulations. Over the years[since mid 80's] of having his establishment on the beach he didn't encounter much problems with the government except for them making sure that locals were working for him. Until recently has there been any problem with the building itself. Some sort of officials would come down and say this needs to be done, or that needs to be done. He would comply and they would be satisfied for a bit then come back with demands again.

I'm not going to say who is wrong or who is right......but my heart feels for Gus [he's our SXM family] and every other person on the island that has had their livelihood, home, employment, family taken away by mother nature and governments new rules. I understand the permit thing......safety, hygiene, order, etc. But, put yourself in this mans shoes......put yourself in the situation of this life is the only life you know. His business is gone, his home almost completely destroyed, his vehicles - one gone, one totaled. This past March we visited Gus in what was left of his house.....just a small one room concrete structure with whatever of his possessions survived.....it was so sad, I had to do all I could not to cry in front of him. So if the government won't give people like Gus a new building permit, but will let him have a license to sell, what is the answer? He unlike Chez Raymond did not just go back to the beach and rebuild without a permit....hence the jail sentence. He has met with, as he says " the big government people" a few times, but no permit is given. I really don't see them budging.

I don't know about the rest of you on this board, but to us why not grant these people that have been selling/renting most of their lives on all the beaches the proper permits. The small locally owned beach bars and other establishments is what drew us to keep coming back to the island since 1987. Not trying to start a right/wrong heated debate, but what is wrong with having a few palm covered beach bars on a beautiful beach for all to enjoy.