Short haul airports in the US are loosing out because they are to close to a major. Most of the airports receiving EIS subsidies are within an hour drive of a major. An example being my own city. Why drive 12 miles south, pay $120 and wait for one of two daily flights to Atlanta when I can drive 80 miles up I-75 north and be in the atlanta terminal in 90 minutes? Also, passenger demand dictates which airports loose service.

There is a different situation for the BVI in one way and the same in another. There is demand for at least 150 seats per day and probably a lot more for the SJU/EIS route. OTOH, this demand is limited by the proximity of St.Thomas in the same way that my city is by the proximity of Atlanta.

STT handled 691,000 arivals in 2015. Based on the number of visitor arrivals by ferry, 28% of those arrivals final destination was the BVI. (75% of the BVI's overnight visitors) The majority of those passengers arrived via American and Delta out of their hubs in Miami and Atlanta respectively. Jet Blue, United and Spirit round out the major carriers for a total of 9 US departure points an average of 10 flights a day with a peak of 14 and 8 in off season.

Now let's examine which carrier is going to intertain serving another airport 30 miles away. Certainly not Delta. They cut back to a single flight to STT in off season. Certainly not American as the already have the business through their SJU hub. Jet Blue would have to agregate through their Charlotte hub for limited demand. Far more profitable for them to stick with STT. Not Spirit as they only pack one flight a day to STT and nothing in off season.

So, to which carrier could you make a reasonable business case? It would be interesting to see how this MIA/EIS service that is supposed to begin in the fall fares before they commit the islands future to a white elephant.

That's enough for now. If you insist on continuing this nonsense we can discuss the cost of these direct flights and the actual economic plusses and minuses of thses supposed "better class" visitors.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. - Mark Twain