I can see how you'd be disappointed and I'm really sorry things went badly for you guys. It won't help you but at least you let CatCo know about your experiences with the captain and the cook. I can't imagine why the captain would not run an engine for hot water in the evening. I sense the cook had his own ideas of what he was going to do - he just wasn't prepared to tell you his plan. In both cases that would be "no tip for you"! Of course, if either had a reasonable explanation for their actions, I'd be willing to accept that and move on.

For those interested in as near a perfect trip as possible hire a full time crew and boat - if they can't keep everyone happy no one can.

It's all about expectations and nobody prepares the uninitiated for the downsides of paradise; things like oppressive heat at the dock, sunburn, mosquitos, no-see-ums, flies, jelly fish, sea sickness, rain, rough weather, lightening & thunder, breakdowns, crew incompatibility and having to obey a command or do some work from time to time.

Life involves risks, take some prudent ones (NOT with the BVI ferries)!