We had the same problem in trying to return home from SXM. After AA canceled our flight, we booked with JB and then they cancelled. Finally, at the airport and thanks to our happening to discover Janice Brooks, AA ticketing agent extrodinaire, we were able to exit on AA. BUT, we have credit with AA and JB for flights unused. Unfortunately, they have to be used before the end of the year, at least as of now. Kind of a bummer because we have no desire or plans to travel this year, at least as of now. Yes, I did send a letter to the AA President telling him about Janice and what a treasure she is for the stranded traveler. While we were waiting in the rebooking line she helped 4 or 5 travel groups spending a lot of time with each group. We heard her yell "Because if I don't eat, I'll keel over". It was after 2PM at this time. A relief agent appeared and very quickly dispensed with the next two couples in line. Finally, it was our turn. This agent said "Sorry, there are no flights and the airport will be closing tomorrow". We tried asking about any flight to anywhere in the States..."No, there is nothing". Then who should appear but the agent who had gone for lunch. She took care of everything, got us seats on the next flight to Miami and then home the next day. I asked for her name and told her I would be writing to AA. Thank you again Janice.