I have been surprised by the number of people in the states that are not going to either take the vaccine now or are going to wait until they see how it goes. With the availability of information concerning the safety and efficacy of the vaccine and now almost everyone knowing someone who has either died or became very ill from Covid here, it has amazed me the numbers who do not plan to get the vaccine.

I’ve read a lot of similar unfounded fears and reasons not to take the vaccine and some even more whacky imaginative reasons in some of the comments in the bvi news sites. Since they have been spared the death and serious illness widespread most everywhere I would guess that perhaps half the population will not take the vaccine.

That will IMO seal their fate of getting a local epidemic when they open up. Although many here have enjoyed the quiet of just a few visitors mostly on a few boats, that is of little help to the bvi economy. To compete they will have to drop the quarantine by late spring, early summer. People held back from travel are going to go somewhere. They are not going anywhere with quarantines or hoops. A test prior to travel is about all anyone will stand for in choosing a destination. If less than half the population of the bvi gets the vaccine, there will be an outbreak. I am hopeful there is a tremendous pr campaign to vaccinate the most vulnerable. With 7 ventilators on island their healthcare system is at risk.

Their current political leader not taking the jab himself doesn’t instill a lot of confidence.

Last edited by Will_L; 02/07/2021 11:00 AM.