Originally Posted by DEL
I have been sailing in the BVI for 50 years. Not surprisingly, I have seen many changes:
1. Many more charter boats and charterers (I can remember many times with less than 6 boats anchored in the Bight)
2. Mooring balls introduced (along with a fee) to reduce coral damage and increase the anchorage capacity
3. Mooring ball fees (I think the first fees were $25) were a significant increase compared to anchoring
4. Need to go through C&I when going between USVI and BVI (I cannot tell a lie, I have sinned in the old days)
5. Irma dramatically reduced the number of attractive anchorages and maintained/available mooring balls while charter boats numbers rebounded more quickly
I chartered for three weeks in 2019 and found using BB a great way to optimize my vacation time. I can't remember how many days in previous years I have suffered from anxiety about if I would be able to be secure in my desired anchorage for the night and could still enjoy snorkel stops along the way. Arriving at my overnight anchorage before noon is not my preferred solution.

As an Econ major 50 years ago, I suggest everyone remember that this is a situation where demand is exceeding supply, If the number of mooring balls were always greater than the number of charterers desiring to use that anchorage, end of discussion. Maybe when BEYC, Saba, etc. come back, things will change.

Well it seems BB is good way for you to keep your anxiety down, but for most of us it’s just another restriction getting up early to make a BB reservation that suits the BB owners who don’t have to deal with the hassle.
We can’t just sail into an anchorage and find a nice spot to moor, everything is dependent on a reservation made at day break.
I’ll stick to the old way until it’s been replaced by the Politically Correct crowd.