OY! Another silly discussion! I just don't understand the FURY over Boatyball. There are X number of available moorings, some of which are at highly desirable locations (like Cooper Island - although I wouldn't go there if you put a gun to my head.). When the sun sets all of the mooring balls are taken....just like before BB's evil emergence on the scene. Exactly what is different? Some lucky people have the peace of mind knowing that they have a reserved ball...others are frustrated and angry that they don't.

It was the EXACT same way before BB. The usual a s s clowns were facing off for the last mooring ball, sometimes leading to physical alterations. And now the altercations are regarding reserved or not reserved balls. A distinction without a difference.

Boatyball doesn't determine how many balls are at any particular location. That's up to the mooring permit holder. And BB doesn't install or maintain the balls - that's done by Moor Seacure - and it seems that they do a good job. Just as before. And insurance!???!!! HAHAHAHA! Can you imagine filing such a claim in the BVI? Just as before.

So why the fury over Boatyball? I just don't know! A few extra bucks for the convenience of a guaranteed reservation? Ok. But I really think that the issue is the fact that the bareboat charter industry has had a tremendous recovery this season, and the number of available balls at desirable locations remains the same, or in the case of North Sound, greatly reduced.

The solution? Just chill. Change your itinerary. Don't obsess about going to the stupid rum bar at Cooper. Enjoy a star-filled night at Salt, if weather permits.

I remember the days when we were the only one anchored at the Bight, and bareboaters were a rarity. Yes, I'm that old. Things change. Adjust.