Hey Christo, I hope you’re having a nice afternoon. We’ve been discussing changes to incorporate into the app and I figured I’d reach out to you and see if you had any input. If you were going to use the BoatyBall app what would you like to see featured on it or what do you think they could do better. I look forward to what you have to say. Cheers

Reply Quote
Unread by: none
Re: BoatyBall #10705
0 seconds ago
UK

Christo Online content
Traveler

Hi Alec,

We are having a beautiful day in the BVI, thank you for asking, I hope you are also wherever in the world you are.

My honest response is that i'd pay 50 bucks a night to see them all returned to FCFS. It's worked in the Caribbean for decades, it works well and will continue to do so. The level of aggression and issues we have seen this year in the BVI is something we have never before witnessed. Boatyball is solely responsible for that. Besides all the other shortcomings that I have repeated time and time again on the forum. We found it interesting to hear how anti-boatyball the base-staff at Moorings/Sunsail were.

If you had left all the FCFS alone and added new boatyballs...you would have added value and choice to the mooring situation in the wake of the undersupply caused by Irma. What you have actually done is made things worse.

I'm sure I am getting a name on the forum for being negative about BB, but having been sailing here and throughout the Caribbean for 20 years I have very strong views, routed in experience and am vehemently opposed to the BB system.

It's nothing personal, but BB needs to be removed from the BVI. It has no place here.

I believe also there are a number of outstanding questions from others on the forum about BB that have gone unanswered. One member suggests for example that you do not have the work-permits required for the hands-on approach that has been taken by BB?...but there are numerous other questions outstanding.

I might also suggest that your lighthearted response to my posts about the mayhem going on in GH Jost a few days back that the 'entertainment' created was a positive thing that BB had created...are very ill-advised. Whilst it may be entertaining for those not involved to watch or hear about this mayhem, let's not forget that the bareboat charterers who were kicked off boatyballs late in the day and then found themselves unable to anchor...probably had that day/evening of their charter ruined. And that is on you Alec.

Yes, I am the first to say that if you don't know how to anchor then you have no place being a skipper...but, it's also true that when they tied up to the Boatyball (not knowing what it was) there were other FCFS balls free in Great Harbour. So without question, if BB didn't exist they would have had a good night. As it happens, who knows where they ended up, but it certainly wasn't the chilled day in the BVI they planned on having...or that they would have had if BB didn't exist.

I could, in true Denny-esque fashion continue for a few thousand words, but it's painkiller time and I suspect my words will fall on deaf ears anyhow.