Since everyone is informally "voting" I will weigh in as a +1 in favor of boatyball. I don't charter as much as I used to but to me it's just like reserving a slip and that was something I did at least 1 night of most charters. I appreciated knowing that those nights were planned and I didn't need to rush around because my space was guaranteed.

As a BVI business owner, the payment aspect of boatyball is probably the most attractive feature to me. Dealing with cash and banking on Tortola is a major time consumer and I avoid it at all costs. I can't imagine how difficult it is on JVD, VG, or Anegada where there are no branches at all. That requires a full day of ferries, taxis, and line waiting at the bank.

Granted, I've only been chartering in the BVI for 20 years so I don't have as much experience as many people on this forum but this debate reminds me of the many other changes that people disliked and are now embracing; catamarans, mooring balls, cellular service, wifi, etc. Based on how many BBs are booked at 7:01am I'd say the popularity speaks for itself.

My suggestion for those who dislike the service (besides the obvious choice to not use it) is take your opinion to the owner of the ball. The owners make the decisions about whether to keep BB, whether to add more moorings, and what the pricing is. I suspect you won't like the response because they most likely see their mooring utilization is higher the non-BB moorings, their collections are easier, and there is no fear of a boater leaving without paying.

To each their own. Either use BB or don't but remember to have a great visit to our beautiful islands! I'm happy to buy the first drink for anyone in CGB as long we agree to not discuss politics, religion, or BB...

Cheers and respect,
Jason

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
reservations@coconutbreezevillas.com
www.coconutbreezevillas.com