Todd, very balanced answer. If someone charges me 1.20 Euro rate and I am paying in cash, I now point out to them what the actual rate is. We normally come to a compromise. If they have an additional unwarranted charge(as far as I am concerned) but the meal was fantastic I tip accordingly but that would not stop me from coming back just a quiet word with Management for the next time and that also usually works.
It also depends on how they describe their charges. If it’s obviously ripping people off, it’s up to you depending on if it’s a life changing meal or entertainment to return or not as it’s their place, their terms and it’s up to you to act accordingly. They are providing a service, their way and if you don’t like it, complain, stay, leave or don’t return.
Use to be a food critic many moons ago and if I feel deception is found on a bill, I suddenly have come out of retirement. That’s also deception, but when dealing with ethics and principles, you use some ammunition.
Regardless, I also never heard noise, received great service and actually understand what they are trying to do and that is build up a following for those that appreciate it. Not all will as even witnessed here, but we have choices as with everything in life. Don’t like it for whatever reason, just walk on by.