This general topic has been discussed in other places on TTOL. Here's what I'll say - in general, its a horrible idea to just take a credit for future travel. That is nothing more than an unsecured loan to a company (Moorings) which may have zero value in the future. Reading your contract carefully is important - particularly with that dealing with Force Majeure (Acts of God including pandemic which was never specifically contemplated before). At some level, you'll have to make a bet with your own trip and funds.

I was in the exact same situation with Dream Yachts and got them to delay our final payment (in writing) and extend the period of time for which we had to make a decision with only a relatively small cancellation fee (500 Euro). I do appreciate their willingness to delay/modify in our case - it was certainly the right thing for them to do. I'd suggest you work hard with Moorings to modify their cancellation/deposit terms - keeping your deposit for several more weeks in an effort to defer your cancellation rather than just keeping the smaller cancellation penalty is very much in their favor (to be clear, that, too, is a free unsecured loan from you).

One last thing - I've heard someone say that Moorings is owned by private equity with significant funding. Let me clear about this - and I am personally involved with private equity and see its great benefits - you and others should not get strong positive feelings from its private equity ownership. They love that customers will provide free unsecured funding in terms of credits - I would too.

Here's what I'll also say - I do not see charter prices increasing in the future - in fact, I see them decreasing. Rebooking trips is likely to be easily done in the future, at lower prices. Sad, but true - unfortunately.