GeorgeC1 said:
There are lots of issues with this expansion. I have not read anything about the rest of the infrastructure required to support large aircraft. I doubt the Ramps and taxiways will support the weight of 737 class aircraft. Currently most aircraft don't fuel there however large jets will have to fuel as they can't land with excess fuel for the return leg. 5000 gallons of fuel per flight would be a average. 10 flights a day would need 50,000 gallons barged in each day. You need extensive storage facilities for that fuel. Take a look at the tanks at STT next time you are there. The current price for Jet Fuel is 5.50 a gallon at EIS. Airlines are paying about 1.50 a gallon in the US right now. Even with the big discounts airlines get I suspect the price would still be 4 bucks a gallon. That's going to add a large premium to fares.
If this runway does get built I would expect departure taxes to rival the UK approaching 200 dollars per passenger on top of the fuel premium. You won't see any bargin airfares out of EIS.
G

I do not believe for a second this was ever about "bargain airfares". The primary purpose is to allow the traveler to get on and off the island by commercial jet carrier whenever they want. One quote that those that know use is "2.5 hours to Miami in place of 12 hours today". For the busy executive that matters, to the employee and her travel office or high new worth traveler that does not feel well that matters. The BVI lacks the hotel rooms and always will to support the budget traveling masses. To the financiers who will rebundle and service a $500 million debt package for all the BVI infrastructure it will matter. If you want cheap airfare and bargain island travel look to Mexico and the DR. The future BVI travelers will fit the profile of the Nail Bay players, the Peter Island visitors, and the very high end Little Dix Bay when it reopens. Those visitors are not shopping airfare. They simply want to get in and out whenever they want to get in and out and they demand the same for their family and guests who come to visit the villa.

The design has not even begun. The concept is a design build where the winning turn key contractor will design and build at least the following:

i. Extension of existing Runway into the sea
ii. Passenger Terminal Expansion and upgrade
iii. Aircraft Ramp Expansion (G-5 aircraft, RJ’s; A-320; 737-800; other private jets)
iv. Sewage Treatment Plant and Fire Fighting system relocation
v. New FBO Facility
vi. Pleasure craft water access-excavated channel
vii. Inter-Island Ferry/Transport service upgrade/relocation
viii. Trellis Bay Welcome and Visitor Center (Transportation Intermodal Center)
1. Crafts and gift shop
2. Indigenous arts and craft manufacturing & museum
3. Live flora indigenous to Beef Island (lignum vitae stand of trees)
ix. Traffic Reorganization
x. Car-park upgrade

The way I read all that. The plan is an airport you can drive up to and leave along with a modern safe boat dock that will allow ferries and yacht tenders to reliably and safely bring passengers to the airport from the out islands by water.

Some very rough high finance numbers. If the BVI can bundle all the infrastructure and current debt into a single new $500 Million bundle that can easily be amortized into $25M per year or less. $25M in annual debt cost spread across 300,000 annual visitors is less than $100 per visitor. Not all visitor will pay the same. With better emergency health care, much more reliable easy ingress and egress, better water and sewer plus roads. The BVI high end traveler mix will grow. That will allow better finance options for the smaller operators who want to sell, grow, or simply improve.

Other than the jet noise and sacrifice of the current Trellis Bay this is really a finance and operations no brainier. For many in Trellis Bay life will improve as it changes. For those on boats who have crew who want to come late or leave early life will get much better.