Breeze said:
Somehow I do not see the BVI becoming the Dubai of the Caribbean.

Should it happen, it will not be in my lifetime.

You are spot on there. Dubai is planning an airport expansion to allow 120 million passengers per year in the near term and 220 million passengers over the very long term.

The BVI today operates with +/-300,000 overnight visitors each year spending just over $400M total in the islands for an average local overnite visitor spend of +/-$1,400. The key to BVI success is the same or fewer visitors spending more money in the islands each day they are here. Each villa bed or hotel room should be on a path to rent for more each night. Each bar and eatery on a path to sell the same or fewer drinks for more revenue. None of that is sustainable without cutting the hassles to get on and off the islands. For those that think I am crazy. Please note there are now many bareboats in the BVI with rates north of $20,000 per week and those boats are the first to book. The multi season high end travelers of Aspen might be a better comparison for the BVI's future than Dubai. Kauai could also be a slightly larger comparison with just over 1 million visitor each each. Kauai is in the process of extending it 6500 foot runway +/-1,000 feet further out into the Pacific Ocean.