StormJib said ...

Can you make better ferry options sure. Can you compete for the best visitors using ferries where many others have direct jet access absolutely not.

You are always on about the "best" visitors. My Goodness, you are an elitist! As Glenn has pointed out, currently, the vast majority of visitors to the BVI are in the upper middle and middle class. Do we just ignore them? Do we relegate them to the nasty old, smoke spewing ferries forever?

High speed ferries are very expensive and major challenges to maintain. The motion aboard when the seas are up are awful. Motion that is very different than any boat. Ferry services around the world struggle and fail more than they succeed. Where they do survive the business is generally freight and cars coupled with passengers where airplanes are not part of the trip. The airport, taxi, ferry, taxi is not a 21st-century winner. In Sydney and Seattle where commuter ferries work 2/3 of the cost is paid by taxpayer subsidy. Yes some visitors will take the bus from the public airport to the city center; most do not.

High speed ferries are no more difficult to maintain than airplanes, so let's get real here. The government has invested 7 million dollars in a company that may or may not help with airlift problems. It remains to be seen how that will pan out.

I have been on 2 hydrofoils in the last 5 years. Once the seas were very calm so I couldn't take away any "cons" from that experience. The other time, we had 8 to 10-foot seas and I didn't notice any "awful" motion ... so not sure where you are getting your information. It was bouncy to a degree, but nothing like it would be on a traditional ferry and speed was maintained throughout the trip which was 23 miles (approx.)

Obviously, design is a big part of a successful model. Some of the older hydrofoils would definitely fit into the questionable design category.

The skip the airport and focus on the ferry argument ignores the tens of failures around the world and the visitor offerings others have recently finished and the others that will open shortly.

And your plan doesn't ignore the tens of countries that are circling the drain due to poor fiscal management? Please! Have you not heard of Greece, Venezuela or Puerto Rico? They are in dire straits financially because they overextended themselves to the point where they can no longer service even the interest on their debts. They are, for all intents and purposes, bankrupt. China is in trouble, so is Brazil, Thailand, Turkey, South Africa and others. In fact, there are dozens of countries in financial trouble because they have overspent for years and years and just like with any Ponzi scheme, the chickens eventually come home to roost. Of course, corruption has also played a role in several instances.

It is time to join the team and focus the energy on getting a competitive runway in operation along with the offerings to get visitors to and from their plane seat to their final stop. Today the BVI is a business venue without a real street nor place to park.

No thank you. Your "team" is not one I wish to be on. I prefer to float ... not crash and burn.