I will stay out of the long range debate but having spent 8 months last year to produce a 60 page report on the BVI ferry service I will say that your point #1 is the primary obstruction to a first class STT/BVI ferry service. The subject is too political and the government does not want to cross the families that own the ferries.

If the 3 companies would form a cooperative and work together with a central reservation system, an investment of less than $20 million could deliver hourly service between CA and West End on six new 100 passenger fast cats including an expansion of the West End ferry terminal.

As to the subject of "higher class" visitors, it is my observation that the typical middle class visitor has a much greater impact on the BVI ecconomy. Excluive resorts are isolated closed systems. For example, an oncologist friend claims to be a great fan of the BVI. He and his wife have spent two weeks for several years at Byras Creek. (BTW, They flew into STT and helicoptered to Byras.) But neither he nor his wife had ever heard of the Fat Virgin or Bitter End YC! What you see on the buffet at Peter Island never crossed the doors of Road Town Wholesale. The larger resorts provision through Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Aside from the hotel tax and a nominal income withholding the revenue from these exclusive resorts does not stay in the islands.

In contrast, us "low rent folks" stay in accomodations that were built by local labor and the rent we pay supports the cleaners, maintenance and yard workers and local supervisors. We rent cars from local businessmen, drink booze at locally owned bars, eat at locally owned restaurants and buy things from locally owned stores.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. - Mark Twain