I am just a semi retired once major business traveler, global business manager, father, soon to be grandfather with decades of BVI and other global boat fun. Each day the kids get older and world more complex the more critical it is for myself and increasingly my guests to get in and out when each individual or their boss thinks they must get in or out. When you are spending $> than 1000 per day for fun airfare of 600 or 900 is truly not that big of factor for the travelers the BVI hopes to attract. Airlines operate at costs between 10 cents and 15 cents per seat per mile plus a long list of taxes and fees. The "bargains" many search for near or below those costs are empty excess capacity seats some deeper pocket business or high wealth player is paying for. The only way the BVI will ever see "cheap seats" is with extra capacity the airline discounts to get something for that ultimately is paid for by others or BVI government subsidy. To be clear there is known business science and the laws of physics that determine how much it cost to run each plane per hour and each pound of payload human or cargo on it. By the way the same is true with the charter boats. The "deals" are excess capacity that some enjoy at the expense of those funding the asset or paying the full rate during other periods. Do the math on what the parents or grandparents are paying to charter entire large boats and the new villas for 15 days for family gatherings. When you consider a house in the Hamptons or Jersey shore can easily cost $10M even $50M the renting of a nice boat or villa to invite your family and friends to come and go as they please for a couple of weeks or a month is relatively inexpensive even with $1,000 airfare. Little Dix Bay will want well more than $1,000 per night for the refurbished property. Those customers will demand to get in and out without any risk, delay, or hassle. The only solution to the BVI future is their own 21st Century runway or some incredible partnership with STT and a ferry dock right there at the airport with C&I done with zero hassle on the ferries running every hour to each of the BVI Islands. There seems to be no interest from St. Thomas on that partnership. STT is already a zoo and terrible end to vacation on some Saturday afternoons. So the BVI will go it alone. Sure some will keep using STT, just like some use Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport to get to DC. For those that time and hassle avoidance matters Reagan and Dulles are the answer.

Last edited by StormJib; 05/18/2016 10:25 AM.