LianeLeTendre said:
casailor53 said:
While I agree about a modern, efficient, well-run ferry system vs an improved, jet-capable EIS, I don't recall those Russian hydrofoils exactly working out in the late 90s! And I think that the potential seas would make for some pretty crappy and/or canceled trips between San Juan and the BVI or the BVI and Sint Maarten in the winter months.

With all due respect, this is not the 1990's. Hydrofoils have improved tremendously since then. The fact that they literally fly over the water, means that they are able to handle heavy weather conditions much more easily than a traditional boat and when a traditional boat could not even consider operating, a hydrofoil can.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ2sSRBMPqs

There are many hydrofoil ferries operating all over the world these days. Do a little research and I think you may be surprised at just how popular they are. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c-vh2b8hUU

In my opinion, alternative solutions should not be dismissed quite so off-handedly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVm8XrTfqLM

The government is going to be investing upwards of 150 million dollars (and very likely a lot more) in the new airport. Bad weather impacts airplanes as well as ferries.

All I am saying is that with a significant investment in a new ferry system, the BVI would be [color:"red"]guaranteed[/color] to benefit. The same investment in an extended airport runway is NOT a guarantee of anything. We will still be at the mercy of the various airlines.

Liane, you are confusing me with StormJib - I am for an improved ferry system, and against a new airport. I was merely making an observation about the USVI/BVI experience in the late 90s with the Russian hydrofoils. Thank you for the links, very interesting. I also read the wikipedia entry on hydrofoils which painted a pretty bright picture of them until you got to section 7 - "Disadvantages".

I guess I would be more concerned about hydrofoils and three things:

1) The BVI ferry operators being involved, playing nice and getting the maintenance done.
2) Time saved from the higher speeds possible, not making that much difference given the relatively short trip and delays due to C & I (at either end).
3) The reality of longer trips, that is, BVI to-and-from San Juan, and BVI to-and-from Sint Maarten, I still maintain what I said in an earlier post, "I think that the potential seas would make for some pretty crappy and/or canceled trips between San Juan and the BVI or the BVI and Sint Maarten in the winter months. As the old saying goes, "nothing goes to windward like a 747." Or even a Cessna 402! An STT -> EIS or SJU -> EIS flight with the Christmas winds blowing hard is not a big deal; an STT -> Road Town ferry ride will generally go in those conditions but... you get the idea.

The real problem with the current ferry system operators is their ill fit to the airlines' schedules, breakdowns/poor maintenance, canceling runs with little or no warning, and leaving considerably late. C & I at both ends are understaffed and handcuffed by multiple ferries arriving within 15 minutes of each other. (As I'm sure you well know.)

Anyway, as I said, not for the new airport, but really just don't like the lack of civility that is shown, especially towards my friend. I don't always agree with him either.

Last edited by casailor53; 05/20/2016 02:09 PM.