Originally Posted by maytrix
Originally Posted by Christo
Boatyball have successfully identified an issue/problem for many sailors in the BVI, i.e. the fact that if you want to be guaranteed a mooring ball then you may have to adjust your end-of-day timings to be sure of getting one. Some sailors don’t want to adjust their timings…therefore problem.

Problem = opportunity & market

Problem + solution = profit

However, as I see it, they have not yet identified a genuine solution!

I think the solution is genuine. Like anything though, it does take time before it will work without issue. Dockwa is used in the states and works well. The only significant difference that I'm aware of is that all the balls in the areas where dockwa is used are reservation only. And it also differs in that reservations are not just 24 hours in advance. I think once it is clear that the reserved balls will be enforced, the program will work well. Maybe all it will really take is a strong partnership with the charter companies so they can help ensure guests and captains don't use reserved balls without a reservation.

Main problem is there seems to be zero enforcement with anything in the BVI. Overnighting on NPT moorings..etc..etc.

While certainly as charter companies educating our guests will be helpful. But at the end of the day a small percentage of guests who are to good for the rules will be the problem children. In almost any part of the world with any kind of system for moorings with reservations there is ultimately a human being in charge of it. A harbormaster if you will.

Cooper will be an issue unless this is closely monitored. It is an increasingly popular spot with little to no room to safely anchor. The idea of being able to show up at four in the afternoon with a guaranteed spot is very appealing. Making an intoxicated absent captain vacate your reserved mooring will be difficult if not legally impossible. Cooper is unique because of the depth and bottom conditions. Frankly telling guests to pick up a ball by 2:00 in the afternoon has never set well withe me as it limits your sailing time. But in the busy season this is exactly the advice we give so the guests have time for plan B. It might actually be a better system if all of Coopers Moorings where run by a dock master/reservation. Either by the app or old school. Get in radio range call the harbor master give them the details and get assigned a ball. At least then you would know five or ten miles out if you have a spot. If not that gives you plenty of time to do something else.

Rules without enforcement are just recommendations.