I completely agree. I have chartered in the BVI many, many times and also the Grenadines. I just don't like the concept of Boaty Ball at all. It is eventually going to be a monopoly, which will cause all kinds of problems. If there isn't a ball available, then just anchor. It's amazing to me the number of people who are afraid to have to do this. If you can't comfortably drop a hook, even in a crowded anchorage then you don't need to be chartering a yacht. I do realize that there are some places, specifically Cooper Island/Manchioneel Bay, that you are not supposed to anchor because of the depth, grass beds, etc. Just plan your day to arrive there earlier and get a fee ball. My experience is that even if you're there by 3pm and all the balls are taken, there is always someone leaving a ball late. I've never not been able to get a ball there, even in the middle of the high season. Another option, and one I quite like, is to anchor overnight at Salt Island. Obviously, you have to carefully check the wind/weather and swell forecast, but it's 10-15 feet of water on a sand bottom, and we've been there overnight in a 30 kt blow with no problems whatsoever. If you're nervous, put out two anchors.

Doc