Originally Posted by xrayman67
Originally Posted by Alec Atteberry
To be fair this thread has 21 authors and about 4 people that have actually used the app. That’s hardly a fair representation of all of the boaters in the BVI and those that have used the system.

I was optimistic at first. Boatyball said they were installing new mooring balls. Then came the real news, FCFS balls were being replaced with "reserved balls". Alec, without someone in the mooring field being proactive, this is just someone getting paid for nothing. Having someone prepay, only to find somebody else on the mooring, is very risky and potentially dangerous.

There is someone in the mooring field though. There are bay managers in each of the locations that are trained on the system and serve to prevent people from tying off to moorings without a reservation and facilitate the remediation of conflicts. That’s partly why less than 1% of reservations have had this issue. Look, the system is 3 months old; it’s not perfect. But the guys at BoatyBall aren’t just sitting on their butts and collecting a paycheck (collecting a $10 service fee and covering credit card transactions doesn’t exactly line your pockets). Getting stuff right takes time and money, and believe it or not, BoatyBall actually does read this thread quite a bit as well as emails from clients and are constantly working on tweaks to make the system better. I get how converting FCFS moorings is frustrating too. But installing completely new moorings in a lot of the locations just isn’t feasible. And even if it was, the mooring company is hesitant to install more because they have no way of tracking the occupancy rates on the moorings. I’m not saying that your concerns aren’t valid, I’m just saying that maybe you should give it some time and recognize that they are actively trying to make the system better for everyone involved.