Originally Posted by Laserking
We were just down there last week, and it's a mess. We were at Cooper Island at 12:30 on Friday, and there are only about 8 first come first serve balls and they were all taken. They're in the far north and south ends of the anchorage. The rest of the anchorage is covered with Boaty Ball moorings, and there were only a handful of boats on them of course at that time of day. I talked to several people who had half of their crew on their phones at 6:58 in the morning and the balls at Cooper were gone by about 30 seconds after 7. Now that's a hell of a way to spend a relaxing vacation, isn't it? Besides costing Cooper Island a bunch of money in lunch business, the whole concept is offensive to me. They should absolutely not be allowed at all in a bay where the is no anchoring like Manchioneel. I've been going to BV I since 1980. This past week was my 22nd trip. There have been a lot of bad changes there over the last decade, and Boaty Ball is one of them.

This was exactly my feelings and I had the same experience. I was leaving cooper when a couple of young men told me I could have a yellow ball. I got lucky